Wednesday, August 15, 2007

LOTRO: Life as a Warg Part 1

In Lord of the Rings Online Monster Play, I spend most of my time as a warg. A warg is a wolf like creature who's most important trait is stealth. I also have the ability to sprint for a short time every 5-10 minutes. Other than that, theres some attack skills and a slow, nothing very impressive though. My defensive stats are pretty dismal, even though I have equipped traits that improved them a bit.

Running around that map would be very tedious, so one of the first things I did was work on getting maps to various locations. You get these by doing quests (10 for the first grade of map, Crude). The Crude map will take you near your destination and is on a 30 minute timer. All of the crude maps are linked to the same timer. As a warg I can travel relatively safely, so walking to a location isn't a big deal. Other creep classes do not have that luxury and often get jumped by freeps trying to get places. I am currently working on the oor level of maps, which will get me closer to my destination, shorter cooldown and be on their own timer.

Our opponents, freeps, are allowed to bring their horses into the zone, so they can just ride quickly from place to place. This is a pretty big advantage considering the effort we have to through to get our maps. They can be knocked off their horse, but it doesn't stun them as I think it should. But oh well, maybe some day.

Due to our speed and stealth, we wargs are a hit and run class. Generally we approach in stealth and get behind the enemy. Directional damage is enabled, so attacking from the rear is better. Pounce is usually the first attack used, as it will stun the enemy for 5 seconds. If you enemy is a burglar, pounce may do more harm than good. Burglars have an skill that when stunned, they gain health and a big evade bonus. While stunned it is a good idea to claw and apply Crippling Bite (which will slow them).

No comments: