Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Mini-Review: Underworld - Evolution

Movie: Underworld - Evolution
Format: Encore HD
Player: Motorola HD cable box
Audio: 7.1 (ProLogic IIx)

I enjoyed the original Underworld for what it was, a monster movie with vampires, werewolves and guns. This sequel did not live up to the previous entry.

Picture/Sound: This movie looked great in HD, even on cable. There was a lot to look at with all of the monsters, fighting and Kate Beckinsale. This movie also used my surround sound alot. Much of the weather was stormy, which I could hear all around me.

Cheese Factor: This is where movies tend to lose it for me. I know there is an unwritten law that in a vampire movie, a vampire MUST give their blood to save someone or help them in some way. I can accept that, but they went to that well THREE times in the movie. Bleh. This movie also suffers from the wussification of the bad guys as time goes on. They were pretty mean and powerful, but by the end they were dispatched relatively easily. The one cool character that I hoped would take care of it did not. I wont say who as I am trying not to post spoilers.

Violence: Lots of blood and numerous different ways of getting killed. I'm not too much into gore and there was plenty.

Overall: If you were a fan of the first, you might like this. If its on TV and you want to watch an HD film, its worth it. I personally would not pay money to pick it up though.

Plot Question: Maybe someone out there knows... What was all the talk about the head vampires getting killed causing the descendant to die? It was mentioned several times.

No comments: